The kitchen sink is one of the most used elements in your kitchen. It is functional; you will use it when cooking and certainly when cleaning. But its functionality should not detract from its potential to be a beautiful fixture in your home. There’s no reason to settle for a less-than-beautiful sink when designing your kitchen. Undermount sinks are a beautiful option among the many types of sinks available to you.
An undermount sink is installed so that the countertop covers the top of the sink, so no part of the sink sits on top of the countertop. This differs from a drop-in sink, where an inch or two of the sink rests on the kitchen counter. The undermount sink provides a clean and sleek look.
You can buy undermount sinks from TORVA in a variety of popular colors for the kitchen such as stainless steel or black. At TORVA, we try to make sure you always have plenty of options for your kitchen!
TORVA Undermount Sinks are constructed with premium 16-gauge thick grade 304 stainless steel for durability and strength. Handcrafted brushed finish to prevent scratches for long-lasting use in your busy kitchen. Undermount installation provides you with much counter space, seamless transition and easy to clean corners make for a modern aesthetic and easier cleaning.
An undermount sink is a specific design style wherein the basin is mounted beneath the counter top. It is also commonly known as recessed sinks, due to the fact that installation of this type of sink requires the removal of the upper ring.
Why Choose Undermount Kitchen Sinks?
They are very common in bathrooms and kitchen because of its seamless appearance and because of its very effective use of space. There are 4 advantages in using undermount kitchen sinks:
- Food, spills or other debris can be easily collected and pushed right into the sink. It leaves a smooth surface that is easy to clean and you need not worry about materials getting trapped on the rim of the sink.
- With undermount sinks, plumbing is generally hid behind the cabinetry so that you do not have to worry about clutter or mess. This invisible advantage makes this the preferred style favored by home makers who like their kitchen and bathroom clean all the time.
- Due to its seamless nature, it does not require that much attention or maintenance efforts. You can just wash it with soap and water, or simply wipe it, and it is mint clean once again.
- Since undermount sinks are installed under a solid surface counter, it will not interrupt the integrity of the design and the style you have thought out for your kitchen or bathroom, nor will it limit your ability to select the color theme. You will have the freedom to design these areas based on your preference.
Why Choose Stainless Steel Undermount Kitchen Sinks?
There are different types of undermount kitchen sinks available on the market. The most common types of them are porcelain and stainless steel undermount kitchen sinks. Porcelain is excellent when it comes to corrosion and rust. But porcelain is not ideal when it comes to durability. This is where a stainless steel sink comes in to play its role. For this reason alone, many people prefer to buy stainless steel sinks. These sinks are very common in industrial, commercial and residential applications.
- AFFORDABILITY: There are different ranges of affordability when it comes to stainless steel undermount sinks. You can either buy a high-end kitchen sink or can also go for a budget-friendly option. There are different types of stainless steel undermount sinks that can suit different needs.
- BETTER QUALITY: With the introduction of new technologies and innovation, kitchen sinks continue to improve in terms of quality and build. The 18-gauge and 16-gauge thick stainless steel sinks are stronger and less noisy as compared to their old counterparts.
- DURABILITY: In terms of longevity and durability, stainless steel is very long-lasting. It will not chip and is an excellent option for undermount kitchen sinks and similar other applications. Stainless steel can also not fade, stain or crack as well.
- THE LARGER CAPACITY OF THE BOWL: As compared to other materials, stainless steel undermount sink is very lightweight and is strong. This means that the manufacturers are able to create bigger and deeper bowls as compared to porcelain, or cast iron materials.
- EASY MAINTENANCE: As stainless steel is very durable and long-lasting there is not much you need to do for maintenance either. This steel is not affected by any of those chemicals in the household. For this reason, it is able to maintain its real luster when you use any of those chemicals and whip them using a soft towel.
- CORROSION-RESISTANT: Stainless steel undermount sinks will not rust or corrode and it will continue to impart a glow. Additionally, you can also choose between different types of glows ranging from satin luster to mirror-like luster.
- SHOCK ABSORBING: Another huge benefit of stainless steel undermount sink is that it can easily absorb shock and can provide cushion crystals, glassware, fine china and different types of ceramic against any of the breakage caused by accident.
- DETAILED ACCENTS: The interior designers are very aware of the fact that stainless steel undermount sinks can accent any architectural details of your kitchen. The cool textures and clean lines can reflect the patterns and colors in the surroundings. Its timeless beauty can easily complement your décor even after the trendy colors are long gone out of trend.
- RECYCLABLE: This is perhaps another one of the huge benefits of stainless steel undermount sinks as it cannot degrade over time. It cannot lose any of its properties and for this reason; it is one of the best green options too.
Undermount vs Drop In Kitchen Sinks
Which one is best at preserving countertop space? With undermount sinks, the countertop extends all the way to the sink—even a bit more. If you’re tight on room and need every possible square inch of counter real estate, undermount is the way to go.
One type of drop-in sink that rarely gets mentioned is the drainboard sink, which is like a drop-in sink on steroids. Usually, one side of the rim extends 8 to 10 inches to form a drainboard (thus the name) or in fancier models, a cutting board and food prep area. If you’re tight on counter space, this counter-intuitive move, adding more sink rim, might actually be more economical on space.
For the most amount of countertop space chose an undermount sink.
One of the more frustrating things about undermount sinks is the gap at the top of the sink, where it joins up with the counter. While this gap is filled with a bead of silicone caulk, it’s not 100% filled. A gap remains and this gap naturally becomes a magnet for food build-up. Greg Fox at Fox Granite Countertops recommends digging out the caulk on undermount sinks “every three to five years.”
With drop-in sinks, all working areas of the sink are visible and accessible. However, it should be noted that the small, visible seam formed by the lip and the countertop can build up gunk, as well. The only difference is that you have better access and more visibility when cleaning the drop-in sink.
The clear winner in this category is the undermount sink. In fact, ease of cleaning is the number one selling point of any undermount sink. Because there is no lip to form an obstruction, you can swipe food particles directly off the counter and into the sink.
Drop-in sinks’ rims are too high to allow this. Not only that, the angle formed between the rim and the countertop can build up with gunk.
For easy countertop clean up, choose an undermount sink.
Homeowners can easily install their own drop-in kitchen sink. As long as a cut-out in the counter is already in place, these sinks can be installed in less than 1 hour.
Best sink for DIY installation, choose a drop-in.
In terms of both materials and labor, drop-in sinks are cheaper.
But at TORVA, the price of Undermount Sinks can be lower than that of Drop in Sinks.
For example, a drop-in 25” Drop-in Kitchen Sink can be purchased at TORVA for about $279.99. The 25” Black Undermount Sink runs around $242.99.
Undermount sinks can be attached to all types of countertop materials, except for laminate. The laminate isn’t the issue; it’s the underlying base of particleboard or MDF. MDF is too weak to hold fasteners that have no backer (i.e., a bolt, nut, and washer) arrangement. Drop-in sinks can be installed on all types of counter materials.
For the best options in countertop materials, choose a top mount.
Whether your kitchen has a drop-in sink or an undermount sink will not, by itself, change the resale value of your home. Resale value’s “needle” is affected more by major changes in your home, such as additions, whole-house flooring, or finished rooms than by single elements such as a kitchen sink, bathroom vanity, or choice of paint color.
As one building block of a highly valued “designer” kitchen, the undermount sink can be said to impart higher value to potential buyers than a drop-in.
For a higher resale value, choose an undermounted sink.
Place the cutting board flat on the table, making sure that the edge of the cutting board is parallel to the edge of the table.
Use a suitable tool to extend the line cutting table shown on the cutting board. (be careful)
Using a good quality silicone caulk, Apply a generous bead of silicone to the perimeter of the sink’s rim.
Carefully place the sink upside down on the countertop, positioning it within the outline.
Placing the bracket flat against the sink lip. Screw the wing bolts tighten snugly.
Carefully turn the countertop and attached sink over. Remove any excess silicone and let silicone dry.
The most common undermount kitchen sinks are made of stainless steel. The durability and the hygienic benefits of this type of sink is definitely a winning combination. It is also les prone to dents, water spots and scratches. There is a risk of water damage to counter tops, so undermount sinks are best installed under concrete countertops, granite countertops or other solid surface ones.
Now undermount sinks are a bit more expensive than usual sinks, but worth every penny.
Why Choose TORVA Undermount Kitchen Sinks?
We concentrate on the quality and package of each product, to ensure that the product customer receive is complete and undamaged. All our products are made of the premium 304 stainless steel, to extend the product lifetime.
Our modern and practical style is suitable for modern aesthetics. Each product has been delicately designed to achieve the maximum in beauty and utility. Our black nano coating leads the market.
All products are life-time warranty. If customers have any questions, they can contact via email. We will reply to the email quickly and provide you with satisfactory service.